Job Opening: Middle School Girls Field Hockey Coach
Job Description The Amherst-Pelham Regional School District is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Middle School Girls Field Hockey Coach. The Coach reports directly to the Athletic Director and/or site supervisor and has the primary responsibility for administering the Middle School Field Hockey program. The successful candidate will be required to follow the procedures outlined in the Amherst Coaches Athletic Handbook as well as the by-laws of the Pioneer Valley Interscholastic Athletic Conference.
• Filed hockey coaching experience preferred at the high school varsity level or collegiate coaching level. Recent experience (within the last five years) highly preferred, but not required.
• A proven verifiable record of positive staff, student and administrative support and relationships.
• A proven verifiable record of placing appropriate emphasis on good sportsmanship, academic excellence, positive attitudes and character.
• A demonstrated ability to teach, enforce, advocate and model appropriate behavior, character traits and educational values to students-athletes.
• A demonstrated ability to teach, organize and supervise assistants
• A demonstrated ability to serve as a positive role model for student athletes and a commitment to holding all students and adults associated with the program to the same standards.
• A demonstrated ability to work with parent/guardian groups, administrators, staff and students.
• A demonstrated ability to organize and maintain positive communication with the community.
• A demonstrated ability to successfully promote athletes who qualify under NCAA Clearinghouse standards for post secondary scholarship opportunities.
• Ability and commitment to follow the National Federation of High School Coaches Code of Conduct and Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association Coaches Code of Ethics.
• Possess and maintain appropriate certification and/or authorization for coaching.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• In charge of assignments and duties of any assistant coaches.
• In coordination with the Athletic Director, plan and implement the scheduling of team activities, tryouts, practices, game plans and summer activities.
• Teaches athletes to perform sound, safe fundamental techniques of the designated sport throughout the season.
• Monitors student attendance and academic performance.
• Responsible for completing and submitting requests for transportation in a timely manner.
• Follow district policies, site procedures, MIAA rules and the MIAA Coaches Code of Ethics.
• Fosters training in conduct, ethics and sportsmanship for all participants and coaches.
• Responsible for the safety and securing of the team before, during, and after events and traveling to and from events. Coach may be required to ride the bus with the team.
• Verifies that the Athletic Director clears each team member before allowing him/her to tryout or practice.
• Responsible for distribution, collection, and general upkeep of all uniforms and equipment and providing an end of the season inventory.
• Works with the Athletic Director and the Principal to maintain communication and to solve problems at the school level while supporting the ideas of the program.
• Submits an annual written report evaluating the program, with recommendations for improvements, if requested by the Athletic Director.
• Is responsible when the budget is allocated for purchasing equipment, supplies, and uniforms, as needed.
• Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which the assigned sport is conducted at all times athletes are present.
• Reports any unsafe conditions to the Athletic Director and completes work orders in a timely manner to correct safety hazards.
• Promotes the field hockey program by prompt, accurate reporting of scores to the local media while maintaining a positive relationship with the local media.
• Cooperates with all of the coaches in providing the optimum sports program possible.
• Works with the Field Hockey booster organization to help coordinate all fundraising activities, while maintaining accurate records of monies collected and deposited in compliance with district requirements.
• Sets up a preseason parent/guardian orientation meeting for all levels to review eligibility, athletic code/expectations, team rules, and risk factors for all athletes.
• Complies with time restraints for practice and contest schedules, including holidays/Saturdays, as well as off-season schedules.
• Has full responsibility for the overall supervision and development of the middle school field hockey program.
• Indoor and outdoor work environment
• Variable hours
• Frequent afternoon, evening and night work
• Occasional adverse weather conditions
• Travel by bus
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information
• Visual ability to monitor team workouts and contests
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to demonstrate applicable sport skill/method
• Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
• Movement over rough or uneven surfaces
• Bending at the waist, running, carrying, pushing or pulling sports equipment
• Physical agility and stamina
• Dust, dirt, pollens, depending on designated sport
• Possible work around heavy equipment
• Possible exposure to blood borne pathogens
• Dealing with disturbed, angry, and emotionally distraught persons
• Dealing with mild to severe sports injuriesPosition Type: After school/Evening
Positions Available: 1Equal Opportunity Employer
The Amherst Public, Amherst-Pelham Regional and Pelham Public School Districts prohibits discrimination against employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, genetic information and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment.
Please contact Athletic Director Rich Ferro at firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions regarding this coaching opportunity.
Coaching begins on September 4, 2018 and ends on or about October 31, 2018.
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Richard Ferro, Athletic Director
21 Mattoon Street
Amherst, Massachusetts 01002